Each campus has at least one bike shelter that can be utilised by all staff, students and visitors to the campus.
It is the individual's responsibility to ensure that their bike is secured and it should not be left unsecured at any time.
Below are some handy tips to assist you with bike security both at College and elsewhere:
- It is recommended that as a minimum a D lock is used to secure the bike. The more you can spend on it, the more robust it is likely to be in preventing theft.
- Make sure that the lock used incorporates as much of the bike as possible within it.
- When locking try to make the mechanism as difficult for a potential thief to get to as possible.
- Make sure that the bike is secured to an immoveable object within the bike shelter.
- Ensure that you utilise the bike shelters and compounds provided.
- If possible use 2 different types of lock.
- Be aware of any damage done to your bike when you leave it, any obvious signs of damage to the bike or lock should be reported. As this may be an opportunist trying to get the bike
- Remove any removal parts or accessories from your bike and take them with you including lights, tool bags.
- Register your bike with the online registers such as https://www.immobilise.com/, https://www.bikeregister.com/.
- Ensure that your bike is marked to assist the Police should it be stolen, and ensure that you have details, photographs and evidence of the bike being yours to aid the Police in the event it is stolen.
- Consider making your bike undesirable, Pink is said to be the best colour for theft prevention.
- Remember to secure your bike not just at college but also at home and when you are out and about.
Locations of Bicycle Shelters across College sites:
For those at South Leicestershire College, for added security the Bike Shelter in the car park has Salto Access. If you wish to have this added to your card then please visit Reception. It is recommended that a D lock is still used to secure the bike within the Shelter. For those using the compound please ensure that you do not allow anyone else access and that you check that the door is available.
If you are the MTI Campus and do not have a secure bike lock with you then please go to Reception and they will be able to assist you.
For those at the Harrowbrook Campus the Bike Shelter has a key pad system for entry. The code is available from the staff. The code should not be shared with anyone else. A D lock or similar should still be used within the shelter. Please ensure that you close the door when you enter and exit the shelter.
If you do not have a D lock with you when you are at college
The college has a limited supply of basic D locks available for purchase for £9 these are available for purchase from Nuneaton, Hinckley and South Leicester Receptions. D locks are available from a variety of local shops and also from various online companies for a variety of costs.
Alternatively for a short term solution the same locks can be hired for £10 deposit from Reception. The attached maps identify where the bike shelters and secure compounds are on each site.
Below is an example as to how to not use a D lock and also how to use a D lock to increase security.
Click on an image below to enlarge it.